5 of a Kind: Jane Austen Traditional
1. Northanger Abbey (2007) (Felicity Jones as Catherine Moreland and J. J. Field as Henry )
2. Pride and Prejudice 1995 TV miniseries (Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennett)
3. Persuasion 1995 (Amanda Root as Anne Elliot and Ciaran Hands as Captain Wentworth)
4. Emma (1996) (Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma Woodhouse and Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightly)
5. Sense and Sensibility 1995 (Emma Thompson as Elinor Dashwood and Hugh Grant as Edward Ferrars)
What They Are About- Jane Austen traditional. Poor young women try to unite true love and solvency in one mate.
Compare & Contrast- Pride and Prejudice is the longest - a leisurely paced miniseries. Persuasion is the least glitzy - you can see the wrinkles in their gowns, they wear natural makeup, the lighting is low. But really all of them are decent substitutes for the books, and are delightful realizations for Jane aficionados.
Cream of the Crop- Sense & Sensibility is a perfectly-realized adaptation which Emma Thompson won award for. I even prefer it to Austen’s book which is more astringent.